Friday, June 6, 2008

Today, today is the day for pictures I hope




Smocks, my personal favorite brand of ugly. My husband would rather see me with my hair in curlers, comfy sweatpants with strategic air comfort holes than see me wear one of my favorite creations. A smock, a highly functional, well crafted and even better repaired smock. I made it out of bargain bin home dec fabric from Joann's. From my limited world perspective it felt pucci inspired. Now think about that for a minute, first home dec fabric, bargin bin, joann's and pucci inspired. One of these things doesn't quite fit. So maybe in the grand scheme of the world it isn't inspired by a fabulous designer, maybe it really is more like curtains on the partridge family bus circa 1972. A girl can dream right. So I made this wonderful garment, I made the short version and I shortened it considerably as I am 5'3 with my tall shoes on. I even made the bias tape, I wish I had watched a tutorial on bias tape because I made it following the pattern not knowing what bias tape was. For the life of me I couldn't figure out where those strips were going and why I needed so many. Blindly I followed the directions, which were otherwise very easy. What I failed to do was use a zig zag stitch to prevent the seams from fraying. Hence the repair that was needed after the fact. I worked hard on it, and I can say it was the first thing I have ever made without a real live smart person sitting next to me to show me what to do. I made it myself and I lurve it.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And it looks FABULOUS on you!